What are Anti-Aging, Regenerative, and Functional Medicine?
Anti-Aging Medicine is a medical specialty aimed at the early detection, prevention, treatment, and reversal of age-related decline. It is based on evidence and science.
Regenerative medicine optimizes the body’s own mechanisms of self-repair. It also adds proven, external treatments and technologies to assist the body in this repair. Examples of this include optimizing one’s hormones and optimizing our adult stem cells through exercise, glucose control, and insulin control.
Functional medicine takes an approach that treats illness and promotes wellness by focusing on the bio-chemically unique aspects of each patient, then tailoring interventions to restore physiological, psychological, and structural balance. It seeks to find the source of dysfunction in one’s body and address it to lead to better functioning.
We feel these specialty areas of medicine offer the ability to better address our patients healthcare needs. We focus on a more personalized-approach and view the body as a whole rather than an isolated constellation of symptoms and systems. We are always looking to incorporate the best medical practices by blending traditional Western medicine with integrative medicine: using the latest lab testing and other diagnostic techniques, supplements, herbs, detoxification programs, drug therapy in certain cases, and more.
Who can benefit from these types of medicine?
Almost anyone can benefit from these types of medicine. It treats all ages. A few examples of this include:
1. Children with ADD, other behavioral disorders, or obesity can benefit from a careful evaluation into their lifestyle, environmental factors, nutrition, and other things that may be contributing.
2. Athletes can benefit from evaluations of their body’s nutritional status and metabolism pathways to make sure they are supplying and replenishing the correct building blocks for their body. Minerals and vitamins in the body can get depleted with moderate-heavy intensity workouts and if not replaced appropriately, can lead to disease with time.
3. Health-conscious people looking for the best preventive healthcare can benefit from a full evaluation to determine their individual needs and best way to maintain health and wellness.
4. Women with infertility problems can benefit from investigation into possible contributing factors, hormonal balancing, and more.
5. Diabetics can benefit by working on the mechanisms to improve insulin function and glucose regulation.
6. Peri-menopausal women can benefit through hormonal balancing with bioidentical hormones.
7. People with thyroid disorders, adrenal disorders, multiple sclerosis, and more.